Our student body is unique. Our Tutor Training Workshop provides specific training on how to teach low literate adults. It prepares you to develop lesson plans, locate appropriate educational resources, and feel confident in the classroom. Training workshops are offered each year during the Fall, Winter, and Spring at our Hartford Literacy Center.
All potential tutors must participate in our training program. The training includes:
- A welcome meeting with LVGH staff
- An online training component
- Two classroom observations (must be completed before the first workshop)
- Participation in a three-session workshop
- Two student teaching sessions
Once all training requirements are fulfilled, tutors can begin teaching at the start of the next term.
To get started, fill out a Volunteer Application here!
New Tutor Training Schedule
Spring 2017 Workshop (Registration is closed)
Wednesday, April 12th: 5:30-8:00 pm
Wednesday, April 26th: 5:30-8:00 pm
Wednesday, May 10th: 5:30-8:00 pm
Fall 2017 Workshop